Additional Fees
Insurance Plans Acceptance

I filed a claim with Assurant after my daughter dropped her phone and cracked the screen.I paid my $175.00 deductible, which I thought was exorbitant, but it’s not like I have a choice.

Assurant overnighted a phone to me, which was great. I was told I would be receiving a new phone, however, after seeing it, it was clearly refurbished. A week after I had it activated, the phone stopped taking a charge. I took the phone into US Cellular and they told me that the phone was defective and that I needed to return it to Assurant.

I called Assurant shortly thereafter. Apparently, receiving a defective phone is so prevalent that it is an option on their automated phone system. When I spoke with someone, they told me that they will not send a new phone until I send the old one back. Despite the fact that when I filed the original claim they overnighted the new (refurbished) phone to me before I returned the damaged one.

I was told, because I’m not paying the $175.00 deductible this time, they don’t overnight a new phone. My understanding is that when I paid my $175.00 deductible, I was getting a working phone. So I was taken aback when I was told this. Now I have to send the defective phone back, then wait for them to review it, and if I’m lucky, fix it or send me another crappy phone, which means my daughter will be without a phone for over a week.

This company has terrible customer service, which they can get away with since US Cellular customers and customers of other carriers don’t have a choice of phone insurance companies.

Therefore, they can charge whatever they want for a deductible and provide whatever defective phones they feel like.Further, from what I can tell this is an unregulated industry, which makes matters even worse for customers.

Review about: Assurant Cell Phone Claim.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I didn't like: Still no phone.

Had an Experience with Assurant?

Comments